Scientific Name Botanical: Colocasia esculenta
Other common names:
- Mexico/Central América: Malanga
- South America: Cocoyam, Yautia
- Cuba: Malanga isleña
- Bahamas: Taniera
- Dominican Republic: Yautía coco, pipiota, ñemolea, Tannia or Tannier
- Venezuela: Ocumo chino
- Puerto Rico: Malanga
- Colombia: Mafafa
- Yarrow root (not to be confused with the other Yarrow flower)
- Malanga Yellow or Malanga White: Melanga amarilla or blanco
Benefits: fiber and is a good source of riboflavin, folate, potassium, and low GI - 50. High is resistance starch. Malanga is said to be the most hypoallergenic foods in the world.
Purpose: A healthy thickener for gluten-free cooking. It is a close to perfect replacement for wheat flour.
Downside: Like wheat, it can have a grainy taste if not sweetened or salted properly.
Should be cooked prior to consuming because they contain calcium oxalate and saponins. Our POW! Malanga Flour has been properly prepared to ensure safety.